PROF STANLEY SAI-CHUEN HUI
G10 Kwok Sports Building,
The Chinese University of Hong Kong,
Shatin, N.T., HONG KONG
The Chinese University of Hong Kong,
Shatin, N.T., HONG KONG
(852) 3943 6081
EdD (University of Houston USA),
BPE, MSc (Springfield College USA),
Advanced Teacher Certificate in P.E. (Grantham College of Education)
Stanley HUI is a Professor at the Department of Sports Science and Physical Education, Director of the Exercise-is-Medicine (Hong Kong), President of the Asian Council for Health Physical Activity and Fitness, Council member of the Hong Kong Association for the Study of Obesity, and past-chairman of the Physical Fitness Association of Hong Kong. He was the Dean of Student of Lee Woo Sing College from 2012-2019. Stanley received both his Bachelor in P.E. & MSc in Health Fitness from Springfield College, USA, and his doctoral degree (Exercise Science) from the University of Houston. Stanley is an expert and active researcher in health-related fitness. He was certified as an ACSM health-fitness instructor and director in 1998 and 2000, respectively. Through research productivity Stanley was awarded Fellow status by the ACSM and AAHPERD in 2001. His recent research focus lies on fitness assessment and evaluation, exercise prescription, as well as exercise for health promotion through technology.
- Fellow, American College of Sports Medicine
- Fellow, American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance
- ACSM Health Fitness Director ® Certified
- ACSM Health Fitness Instructor ® Certified
- Health and Fitness
- Testing and Measurement Techniques in Fitness, Exercise and Sports
- Exercise Prescription and Promotion
- Children and Elderly Fitness
- Physical Activity and Health
RECENT FUNDED RESEARCH & REPRESENTABLE PROJECTS
- Exercise is Medicine: A Pilot Project at General Out-Patient Clinics in New Territories East Cluster and Related Training Programmes
Funded by Hong Kong Jockey Club Charity Trust Fund 2019-23
- Taichi and Walking For Mental Health: Application of EEG Analysis
Funded by GRF 2017-18 (UGC)
- Virtual Trainer for Improving Health and Fitness of Middle-aged Adults
Funded by GRF 2013-14 (UGC); Knowledge Transfer Fund 19-20
- Sports for Hope: Programme Assessment and Evaluation.
Funded by the Hong Kong Jockey Club Charity TrustFunds 2016
- Promotion of healthy lifestyle among middle-aged Chinese population in Hong Kong: An integrated approach using body fat measurement, brief counseling, and mobile apps.
Funded by Knowledge Transfer Project Fund 2015
- Does Sports and Physical Activity Participation Affect Academic Performance in Hong Kong Secondary School Students? A Longitudinal Study.
Funded by the Quality Education Fund 2016
- Effectiveness of Tai Chi training to alleviate metabolic syndrome in abdominal obese older adults: A randomized controlled trial.
Funded by the Health and Medical Research Fund 2015
- Efficacy of Tai Chi training to alleviate insomnia in older adults: A randomized controlled trial.
Funded by the Health and Medical Research Fund 2014
- Development and dissemination of an online exercise and health promotion program for Hong Kong middle-aged Chinese: The Virtual Trainer System 3rd Version.
Funded by the Knowledge Transfer Project Fund 2014
- Development of a wearable biometric electronic exercise detector and a mobile apps for intelligent daily physical activity measurement and healthy lifestyle guidance.
Funded by the Technology and Business Development Fund 2014
- A Healthy Eating and Active Living Promotion Program for Ethnic Minority Children in Hong Kong.
Funded by the Knowledge Transfer Project Fund 2014
- Development of an automatic physical activity measuring and reporting system for online exercise promotion: the Virtual Trainer 3rd Version.
Funded by the General Research Fund 2013-14
- Self-determination theory-based exercise programmes for the enhancement of exercise adherence and well-being among people with depression: Randomised controlled trial.
Funded by the Health and Medical Research Fund 2014
- The Asia-Fit Study: Cross-cultural Comparison on Physical Fitness, Physical Activity and Obesity of Youth Among Major Cities in Southeast Asia.
Funded by the NUS Global Asia Institute Research Fund 2012
- Implementing and Evaluating a Virtual Fitness Trainer System for Improving Work Productivity.
Funded by the General Research Fund 2011-12
- Virtual Trainer: An Innovated Approach for Exercise and Health Promotion for Secondary School Students.
Funded by the Quality Education Fund 2010
- Physical Fitness Test for the Community (社區體質測試：香港人體適能與體能活動調查)
Funded by the Leisure and Cultural Services Department, HKSAR. (2005-06; 2011-12)
- Development of Physical Fitness Screening Tests for Disciplinary Officers (HK Police 2009-10; HK Immigration 2001-03; HK Correctional Services 2002-04; HK Customs & Excise 2001-02)
Funded by the Respective Disciplinary Departments, HKSAR.
- Validity and Reliability of the Perception Digital Pedometer in Measuring Heart Rate, Energy Expenditure, Walking and Jogging Steps and Distance
Funded by Perception Digital Ltd., Hong Kong (2009-10)
- Hui, S.C., Zhang, R., Suzuki, K., Naito, H., Balasekaran, G., Song, J.K., Park, S.Y., Liou, Y.M., Lu, D.J., Poh, B.K., Kijboonchoo, K., & Thasanasuwan. (2020). Physical activity and health-related fitness in Asian adolescents: The Asia-Fit study. Journal of Sports Sciences, 38(3), 273-279. DOI: 10.1080/02640414.2019.1695334.
- Kidokoro, T., Suzuki, K., Naito, H., Balasekaran, G., Song, J.K., Park, S.Y., Liou, Y.M., Lu, D.J., Poh, B.K., Kijboonchoo, K., & Hui, S.S.C. (correspondence author). (2019). Moderate-to-vigorous physical activity attenuates the detrimental effects of television viewing on the cardiorespiratory fitness in Asian adolescents: the Asia-Fit Study. BMC Public Health, 19, 1737. DOI: 10.1186/s12889-019-8079-0.
- Hui, S.C., Xie, Y., Kwok, R.C.W., Tam, E.W.C., Mak, W.W.S., Mo, P.K.H. (2018). Follow Your Virtual Trainer (FYVT): A randomized controlled trial protocol of IT- based lifestyle intervention program to promote physical activity and health among middle-aged Hong Kong Chinese. BMJ Open. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2017-017908
- Cheung, T.C.Y., Liu, K.P.Y., Wong, J.Y.H., Bae, Y.H., Hui, S.S.C., Tsang, W.W. N., Cheng, Y.T.Y, & Fong, S.S.M. (2018). Acute effects of Tai Chi training on cognitive and cardiovascular responses in late middle-aged adults: A pilot study. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. Article ID 7575123. 7 pages., DOI: 10.1155/2018/7575123.
- Balasekaran, G., Hui, S.C., Ng, Y.C., Govindaswamy, V.V., Lim, J., Boey, P. (2017). Fitness index on physical fitness, obesity and dietary intake of youths in Singapore. Asian Journal of Physical Education and Sport Science, 5(1), 15-27. DOI: 10.24007/ajpess.2017.5.1.002.
- Suzuki, K., Naito, H., Balasekaran, G., Song, J.K., Park, S.Y., Liou, Y.M., Lu, D.J., Poh, B.K., & Kijboonchoo, K., Hui, S.C. (2016). Japanese adolescents are the most physically fit and active in East and Southeast Asia. Juntendo Medical Journal, 62(suppl 1), 96-98. doi.org/10.14789/jmj.62.s96
- Xie, Y.J., Hui, S.C., Ho, S.C., & Suen, L.K.P. (2016). Prophylactic Efficacy of Tai Chi on Migraine Attack: Study Protocol of a Pilot Randomized Controlled Trial. International Journal of Evidence-Based Healthcare, 14, S41–S42. doi: 10.1097/01.XEB.0000511693.78355.30.
- Hui, S.C., Xie, Y.J, Woo, J., Kwok, T.C.Y. (2016). Practicing Tai Chi had lower energy metabolism than walking but similar health benefits in terms of aerobic fitness, resting energy expenditure, body composition and self-perceived physical health. Complementary Therapies in Medicine, 27, 43-50.
Available online: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ctim.2016.05.006.
- Wang, L., Hui, S.C. (correspondence author) (2015). Diagnostic accuracy of different body weight and height-based definitions of childhood obesity in identifying overfat among Chinese children and adolescents: a cross-sectional study. BMC Public Health. 15:802. DOI 10.1186/s12889-015-2152-0, 7 pages.
- Yeung, C.S., Yuan, X., Hui, S.C., (correspondence author) Feresu S.A. (2016). Determinants of moderate to vigorous physical activity and obesity in children: A structural equation modeling analysis. World Journal of Pediatrics, 12(2), 170-176.
- Hui, S.C., Xie, Y.J, Woo, J., Kwok, T.C.Y. (2015). Effects of Tai Chi and walking exercises on weight loss, metabolic syndrome parameters, and bone mineral density: A cluster randomized controlled trial. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, Article ID 976123, 10 pages. doi:10.1155/2015/976123.
Available at http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ecam/2015/976123/
- Wang, L., Hui, S.C. (correspondence author) (2015). Validity of Four Commercial Bioelectrical Impedance Scales in Measuring Body Fat among Chinese Children and Adolescents. BioMed Research International. Article ID 614858, 12 pages.
- Hui, S.C., Hui, P.S., Xie, Y.J. (2014) Association of physical activity knowledge and exercise level in Chinese adults with type 2 diabetes. PLoS ONE 9(12): e115098. doi:10.1371/journal pone.0115098.
- Wang, L., Hui, S.S., (correspondence author) Wong, H.S. (2014). Validity of bioelectrical impedance measurement in predicting fat-free mass of Chinese children and adolescents. Medical Science Monitor, 20: doi: 10.12659/MSM.890696.
- Xie Y.J., Ho S.C., Liu Z.M., Hui S.S.C. (2014). Comparisons of Measured and Self-Reported Anthropometric Variables and Blood Pressure in a Sample of Hong Kong Female Nurses. PLoS ONE 9(9): e107233. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0107233.
- Xie Y.J., Ho S.C., Liu Z.M., Hui, S.C. (2014). Birth weight and blood pressure: ‘J’ shape or linear shape? Findings from a cross-sectional study in Hong Kong Chinese women. BMJ Open, 4:e005115.
- Auyeung, T.W., Lee, J.S.W., Kwok, T., Li, M., Hui, S., Woo, J. (2013). The discrepancy of fat-free mass measured by dual energy x-ray absorptiometry and air-displacement plethysmography varies with age and adiposity – is it related to fat infiltration? Journal of Aging Research & Clinical Practice, 2, 7-10.
- Huang, Y.J., Wong, S.H., Salmon, J., & Hui, S.S.C. (2011). Reliability and validity of psychosocial and environmental correlates measures of physical activity and screen-based behaviors among Chinese children in Hong Kong. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, 8, 16-25.
- Hsu, Y.F., Halle, J.W., Fernhall, B., Hui, S.C. (2011). Psychosocial factors of stages of change among adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities. 49(1), 14-25.
- Wen, X., Hui, S.S.C. (correspondence author) (online 28 Dec 2010). Parenting style as a moderator of the association between parenting behaviors and the weight status of adolescents. Journal of Early Adolescence.
- Wen, X., Hui, S.S.C. (correspondence author) (online 18 Nov 2010). Chinese parents’ perceptions of their children’s weights and their relation to parenting behaviors. Child: Care, Health & Development, 37(3), 343-351.
- Hui, S.C. (2010). Exercise is Medicine: A global exercise for health promotion program for everyone. Physical Education Journal, 43(4), 1-6.
- Kong, A.P.S., Choi, K.C., Li, A.M.C., Hui, S.S.C., Chan, M.H.M., Wing, Y.K., Ma, R.C.W., Lam, C.W.K., Lau, J.T.F., So, W.Y., Ko, G.T.C., & Chan, J.C.N. (2010). Association between physical activity and cardiovascular risk in Chinese youth independent of age and pubertal stage. BMC Public Health, 10, 303-310.
- Ko, G. T. C., So, W.Y., Chow, F.C.C., Wong, P. T., Tong, S. D. Y., Hui, S. S. C., Kwok, R., Chan, A. W. Y., S., Chan, C.L.W., Chan, J. C. N. (2010). Risk associations of obesity with sugar-sweetened beverages and lifestyle factors in Chinese: The Better Health for Better Hong Kong health promotion campaign. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 64(12):1386-1392.
- Yeung, D.C.S., Hui, S. C. (correspondence author). (2010). Validity and reliability of skinfold measurement in assessing body fatness of Chinese children. Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 19(3), 350-357.
- Hui, S. C. (2015). Practical Physical Fitness Assessment and Evaluation. (實用健康體適能測試與評估). EVIVA.HK: Hong Kong.
- Hui, S. C. (2009). Exercise Physiology. In American College of Sports Medicine Resources Manual for Personal Trainer. 3rd Ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- 許世全 (2014). «人人都需要體適能嗎？». 於 « 我的第一本健身書 » . 陳啟明，容樹恒，李偉煜。萬里機構：香港。 Pp. 39 – 42.
- 許世全 (2011). «健身單車». 於 « 健康單車樂 » . 陳啟明，洪松蔭，何百昌，容樹恒，方廸培。青森文化：香港。 Pp. 161 – 163.
- 許世全 (2011). «單車運動與體適能». 於 « 健康單車樂 » . 陳啟明，洪松蔭，何百昌，容樹恒，方廸培。青森文化：香港。 Pp. 19 – 28.
- 許世全 (2011). « 運動 ». 於 « 令人驚訝的減肥真相 » . 香港肥胖醫學會：跨版生活，香港。 Pp. 75 – 94.
- Hui, S. C. (2007). Exercise Physiology. In American College of Sports Medicine Resources Manual for Personal Trainer. 2nd Ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. Pp. 79 – 108.
- Hui, S. C. (2006). Measuring Health-related Physical Fitness in Hong Kong Children and Youth. In Johns D.P. & Lindner, K.J, Physical Activity and Health of Hong Kong Youth. CUHK Press, Hong Kong. Pp. 35 – 63.
- Hui, S. C. (2005). Manual of Health-Related Physical Fitness Assessment for Hong Kong Students. Department of Sports Science and Physical Education, The Chinese University of Hong Kong.
- Hui, S. C. (2002). Aquatic Exercise for Fitness and Health (水中健體運動) Wan Li: Hong Kong.
- Hui, S. C. (2001). One-minute Office Stretching Exercise. (一分鐘辦公室伸展運動) Wan Li: Hong Kong.
- Hui, S. C., Yuen, P. Y., Sum, K. W. (1998). Wellness: The Key to Quality Life. Department of Sports Science and Physical Education, The Chinese University of Hong Kong.
- 2014 - Virtual Trainer Mobile Apps: both Android and ISO mobile apps are developed for users to record and manage their exercise training plans easily.
- 2011 - Virtual Trainer II: An on-line Exercise Prescription and Promotion Program for General Healthy Adults and Secondary School Students. (www.vt.hk)
- 2006 - Virtual Trainer I: An on-line Exercise Prescription and Promotion Program. (www.vt.hk)
- 2005 - On-line Health-related Physical Fitness Evaluation System. (www.pe-web.org/fitnesstest/pfatest/)
- 2002 - PE-WEB: An Interactive Web-based Program in Physical Education (www pe-web.org)
- 2000 - Stretch Reminder Software (PC).
- 2000 - Health-related Fitness Evaluation Program (PC).
- 1999-2000 - Physical Fitness Evaluation Computer Program for Children Weight Control Project (Mac).
- 1997-1999 - Health-related Physical Fitness Evaluation Computer Program: An Exercise Prescription Project at Union Hospital (PC & Mac).
- 1993-1995 - Object-oriented Computer Programme: Attitudes of School Children towards Tobacco Advertisement -- An Electronic Survey (Mac).
- 2011 - Exercise demonstration videos (more than 100+) posted on YouTube and were integrated into the Virtual Trainer system (www.vt.hk)
- 2002 - Exercise with Your Neighborhood VCD - Para Para Dance (by Department of Health - Kowloon Central/West/Kwun Tong Districts Committee)左鄰右裡齊運動VCD - Para Para 動感舞 (衛生署 - 九龍中/西/觀塘地區健康委員會)
- 2001 - Healthy Exercise with Kid's Songs for Children (by Department of Health - New Territories)運動兒歌唱又跳 VCD (衛生署 - 新界)
- 2000 - One-minute Stretch (by Wan-li Publisher) 一分鐘伸展運動 VCD (萬裡出版社)
- 2000 - Health is Most Important (by TVB) 最緊要健康 (無線電視制作)
- 1999 - Low-impact Aerobic Exercise for Children (I) -- age 8-10 years, CUHK, Dept. of SSPE
- 1999 - Low-impact Aerobic Exercise for Children (II) -- age 11-13 years, CUHK, Dept. of SSPE
COURSES TAUGHTUndergraduate Courses
- Physical Fitness Appraisal & Exercise Prescription
- Basic Statistics, Computing & Measurement for Physical Education
- Health and Physical Education
- Functional Anatomy & Human Growth
- Design of Personal Health and Fitness Training Program
- Theories and Applications of Measurement Concepts in Exercise Science
- Research Methods in Exercise Science
- Exercise and Health Promotion for Special populations
- Exercise Prescription for General and Special Populations
- Advances in Physical Fitness Assessment: Theory and Practice
- Exercise Prescription for Medical Professionals (HK Medical Association, Department of Health, and Physical Fitness Association of Hong Kong)
- MSc and PGDip in Sports Medicine and Health Science (Faculty of Medicine)
- MSc in Health Education and Health Promotion (Faculty of Medicine, Center for Health Education and Health Promotion)
- Certificate Course in Obesity and Weight Management (Faculty of Medicine, Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, Hong Kong Foundation for Research and Development in Diabetes)
- Advanced Certification Course in Diabetes Management. (Faculty of Medicine, Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, Hong Kong Foundation for Research and Development in Diabetes)
- American College of Sports Medicine -- Health and Fitness Instructor Certification Course (Hong Kong Physical Fitness Association, and American College of Sports Medicine).
MEMBERSHIP OF PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS
- The International Federation of Sports Medicine (FIMS)
- American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance (AAHPERD)
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM, 美國運動醫學學院)
- Hong Kong Association for the Study of Obesity (HKASO, 香港肥胖醫學會)
- Hong Kong Professional Teachers' Union (HKPTU)
- Hong Kong Physical Fitness Association (HKPFA, 香港體適能總會)
- Asian Council For Health Physical Activity And Fitness