Co-Director, Hong Kong Institute of Education Research
Associate Head, United College
The Chinese University of Hong Kong,
Shatin, N.T., HONG KONG
Physical activity and sedentary behavior
- Wong, S.H., Sun, F., Chen, Y., Li., C, Zhang, Y., Huang, W.Y. (2017) Effect of Pre-exercise Carbohydrate Diets with High- and Low- Glycemic Index on Exercise Performance: A Meta-Analysis. Nutrition Reviews, 60(10): 1435-1444. Doi: https://doi.org/10.1093/nutrit/nux003
- Qin L., Wong, S.H., Sun, F.H., Huang, Y., Sheridan, S., and Sit, C.H.P. (2017) Effects of alpha-lactalbumin or whey protein isolate on muscle damage, muscles pain and mood states following prolonged strenuous endurance exercise. Frontiers in Physiology-Exercise Physiology, 8: 254 Doi: 10.3389/fphys.2017.00717
- Qin, L., Wong, S.H., Sit, C.H.P., Huang, Y., Sun, F.H., Sheridan, S. (2017) The Effect of Carbohydrate and Protein Co-ingestion on Energy Substrate Metabolism, Sense of Effort, and Affective Responses during Prolonged Strenuous Endurance Exercise. Physiology & Behavior, 174: 170-177. Doi: 10.3389/fphys.2017.00717
- Cerin, E., Sit, C.H.P., Barnett, A., Huang, W.Y.J., Gao, G. Y., Wong, S.H., Sallis, J.F. (2017) Reliability of self-report measures of correlates of obesity-related behaviours in Hong Kong adolescents for the iHealt(H) and IPEN adolescent studies. Archives of Public Health, 75: 38. Doi: 10.1186/s13690-017-0209-5
- Huang, W.Y., Wong, S.H., He, G. (2017) Is a change to active travel to school an important source of physical activity for Chinese children? Pediatric Exercise Science. 29: 161-168. Doi: 10.1123/pes.2016-0001
- Jiao, J., Li, Y., Yao, L., Chen, Y., Wong, S.H., Ng, F.S., Hu, J. (2017) Effects of Body-Mapping-Designed clothing on Heat Stress and Running Performance in a Hot Environment. Ergonomics, 60(10): 1435-1444. Doi: 10.1080/00140139.2017.1306630
- Huang, W.Y., Wong, S.H., Wong, M.C.S., Sit, C.H.P., Sum, R.K.W., He, G. (2016) Results from the Hong Kong 2016 Report Card on Physical Activity for Children and Youth. Journal of Physical Activity and Health. 13 (Suppl 2): S169 -S175. Doi: 10.1123/jpah.2016-0302
- Tremblay, M.S., Barnes, J.D., González, S.A., Peter T. Katzmarzyk, P.T., Onywera, V.O., Reilly, J.J, Tomkinson, G.R., ... Wong, S.H. (2016) Global Matrix 2.0: Report Card Grades on the Physical Activity of Children and Youth Comparing 38 countries. Journal of Physical Activity and Health. 13 (Suppl 2): S343-366. Doi: 10.1123/jpah.2016-0594
- Wong, S.H., Huang, W.Y., Cerin, E., Gao, Y., Lai, P.C., Burnett, A. (2016) Home and neighbourhood environment: associations with children’s physical activity and obesity-related dietary behaviours. Hong Kong Medical Journal. 22 (Supplement 6): S43-47.
- Huang, W.Y., Wong, S.H., He, G., Salmon, J. (2016) Isotemporal substitution analysis for sedentary behavior and BMI. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 48(11): 2135-2141. Doi: 10.1249/MSS.0000000000001002
- Li, R., Sit, C.H.P., Yu, J., Duan, Z.Q., Fan, T., McKenzie, T.L., Wong, S.H. (2016) Correlates of physical activity in children and adolescents with physical disabilities: a systematic review. Preventive Medicine, 89: 184-193. Doi: 10.1016/j.ypmed.2016.05.029
- Sun F.H., Li C., Zhang Y.J., Wong S.H., and Wang L. (2016) Effect of glycemic index of breakfast on energy intake at subsequent meal among healthy people: A meta-analysis. Nutrients, 8, 37. Doi: 10.3390/nu8010037
- Wong S.H., Huang W.Y., and He G. (2015) Longitudinal changes in objectively measured physical activity differ for weekdays and weekends among Chinese children in Hong Kong. BMC Public Health, 15:1310. Doi:10.1186/s12889-015-2618-0.
- Sun F.H., Wong S.H., and Liu Z.G. (2015) Post-exercise appetite was affected by fructose content but not glycemic index of pre-exercise meals. Appetite, 96: 481-486. Doi: 10.1016/j.appet.2015.10.013
- Wang J., Zhu Y., Jing J., Chen Y.J., Mai J., Wong S.H., O’Reilly J., and Ma L. (2015) Relationship of BMI to the incidence of hypertension: a 4 years’ cohort study among children in Guangzhou, 2007-2011. BMC Public Health. 15:782. doi:10.1186/s12889-015-1997-6. Doi: 10.1186/s12889-015-1997-6
- Huang W.Y. and Wong S.H. (2015) Time use clusters in children and their associations with sociodemographic factors. Journal of Public Health, Doi:10.1093/ pubmed/fdv088.
- He G., Huang W.Y., Wong S.H., and Feng Y.B. (2015) Neighbourhood built environment and physical activity among Hong Kong children: a pilot study using GIS. Chinese Journal of Sports Medicine, 34: 431-436
- Sun F.H., Wong S.H., Chen S.H., and Poon T.C. (2015) Carbohydrate electrolyte solutions enhance endurance capacity in active females. Nutrients, 7 : 3739-3750. Doi: 10.3390/nu7053739
- Li L., Wong S.H., and Sun, F.H. (2015) Effect of protein addition to carbohydrate-electrolyte solutions on postexercise rehydration. Journal of Exercise Science & Fitness, 13: 8-15. Doi: 10.1016/j.jesf.2014.11.001
- Wong S.H., Sun F.H., Huang Y.J., and Chen Y.J. (2014) Effects of beverages with variable nutrients on rehydration and cognitive function. International Journal of Sports Medicine, 35:1208-1215. Doi: 10.1055/s-0034-1370968
- He G., Cerin E., Huang W.Y., and Wong S.H. (2014) Understanding Neighborhood Environment Related to Hong Kong Children’s Physical Activity: A Qualitative Study Using Nominal Group Technique. PLoS ONE, 9: e106578. Doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0106578.
- Wong S.H., and Sun F.H. (2014) Effect of beverage flavor on body hydration in Hong Kong Chinese children exercising in a hot environment. Pediatric Exercise Science, 26: 177-186. Doi: 10.1123/pes.2013-0080
- He G., Huang Y.J., Wong, S.H. (2014) Physical activity research in Hong Kong from 1987 to 2012: evidence on children and adolescents. Asia-Pacific Journal of Public Health, 26:560-574. Doi: 10.1177/1010539513499623
- Cerin E., Sit C.H.P., Huang Y.J., Barnett A., Macfarlane D.J., Wong S.H. (2014) Repeatability of self-report measures of physical activity, sedentary and travel behaviour in Hong Kong adolescents for the iHealt(H) and IPEN – Adolescent studies. BMC Pediatrics, 14:142. Doi:10.1186/1471-2431-14-142.
- O'Reilly, J., and Wong, S.H. (2013) Effect of a carbohydrate drink on soccer skill performance following a sport-specific training program. Journal of Exercise Science & Fitness, 11: 95-101. Doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jesf.2013.11.001
- Sun, F.H., O'Reilly, J., Li, L., and Wong, S.H. (2013) Effect of the glycemic index of pre-exercise snack bars on substrate utilization during subsequent exercise. International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition, 64(8): 1001–1006. Doi: 10.3109/09637486.2013.825701
- Sun, F.H., Huang, W.Y.J., Wong, S.H., Li, L., and Fu, Y.L. (2013) Metabolic and muscular responses during and after a 100 km hill walk. Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, 53: 368-377
- Huang, Y.J., Wong, S.H., Salmon, J. (2013) Correlates of physical activity and screen-based behaviors in Chinese children. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport. 16: 509-514. Doi: 10.1016/j.jsams.2012.12.011
- O'Reilly, J. and Wong, S.H. (2012) The development of aerobic- and skill-assessment in soccer. Sports Medicine, 42: 1029-1041. Doi: 10.2165/11635120-000000000-00000
- Sun, F.H., Wong, S.H., Huang, Y.J., Chen, Y.J., and Tsang, K.F. (2012) Substrate utilization during brisk walking is affected by glycemic index and fructose content of a pre-exercise meal. European Journal Applied Physiology, 112: 2565-2574. Doi: 10.1007/s00421-011-2231-6
- Sun, F.H., Wong, S.H., Chen, Y.J., Huang, Y.J., and Hsieh S.S. (2011) Effect of Glycemic index and fructose content in lunch on substrate utilization during subsequent brisk walking. Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism, 36: 985-995. Doi: 10.1139/h11-122
- Wong, S.H. and Chen, Y.J. (2011) Effect of a carbohydrate electrolyte beverage, lemon tea, or water on rehydration during short-term recovery from exercise. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, 21:300-310
- Burke, L.M, Hawley, J.A., Wong, S.H., Jeukendrup, A.E. (2011) Carbohydrates for training and competition. Journal of Sports Sciences, 29(S1): S17-S27. Doi: 10.1080/02640414.2011.585473
- Siu P.M., Pei X.M., Teng B.T., Benzie I.F., Ying M., Wong, S.H. (2011) Habitual exercise increases resistance of lymphocytes to oxidant-induced DNA damage by upregulating expression of antioxidant and DNA repairing enzymes. Experimental Physiology, 96: 889-906. Doi: 10.1113/expphysiol.2011.058396
- Huang Y.J., Wong, S.H., Salmon J., and Hui S. (2011) Reliability and validity of psychosocial and environmental correlates measures of physical activity and screen-based behaviors among Chinese children in Hong Kong. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, 8:16. Doi: 10.1186/1479-5868-8-16
"2018 Hong Kong Report Card on Physical Activity for Children and Youth”.
(Tin Ka Ping Foundation)
"Compensating for insufficient weekday physical activity and sleep on weekends: associations with obesity risk in adolescents".
(RGC General Research Fund)
"Promoting Physical Activity among Adolescents in Hong Kong Using an Internet-based Program".
(Health Care Promotion Fund)
"A model of knowledge translation: the Active Healthy Kids Report Card on Physical Activity for Hong Kong Youth".
(Knowledge Transfer Project Fund, CUHK)
"Sports Science Support: Coach and Player Education within the Hong Kong Football Association (HKFA)" to develop structures for enhancement of preparation and performance of the national football team.
(Knowledge Transfer Project Fund, CUHK)
"Virtual Laboratory: A Technology-Aided Learning System for Undergraduate Students in Exercise Science and Health Education".
(Teaching Development Grant)
- "Home and Neighbourhood Environment: Associations with Children's Physical Activity and Obesity-related Dietary Behaviours".
(Health and Medical Research Fund)
- "A Longitudinal Study of Physical Activity, Nutrition and Childhood Obesity in Hong Kong"
(RGC General Research Fund)
- "Environmental Determinants of Physical Activity and Sedentary Behavior among Hong Kong Schoolchildren"
(RGC General Research Fund)
- "Effect of Low and High Pre-exercise Glycemic Index Meal on Running Performance when Carbohydrate-electrolyte Solution is Consumed during Exercise"
(RGC General Research Fund)
- "Rehydration and Cognitive Performance after Moderate Endurance Exercise in a Hot and Humid Environment: Comparison of 3 Commonly Used Drinks"
(Otsuka Pharmaceutical Company, Ltd., Japan)
- "Effect of Pre-exercise Glycemic Index Meals on Running Performance"
(GlaxoSmithKline Nutritional Healthcare, U.K.)
- SPED3550 Physiology of Human Performance
- SPED4570 Education and Promotion of Exercise and Health
- SPED4900 Research Project
- EXSC6201 Exercise: Physiological Benefits, Limits and Adaptation
- EXSC6202 Sport Nutrition for Health and Performance
- EXSC6212 Guided Study
- EXSC6300 Research Project
- “Weekly Patterns on Sedentary Behavior, Physical Activity, Sleep & Obesity Risk in Children & Youth”. 1st Interdisciplinary Behavioral Health Conference: Opportunities and Challenges. JC School of Public Health, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Xiangya School of Public Health, Central South University, School of Public Health, Dr. Sun Yat-Sen University. Changsha, Hunan. Nov 17-19, 2017. (Keynote Presentation)
- “Leisure-time Physical Activity and Sedentary Behaviour in Schoolchildren”. International Conference on Culture of Leisure: Balance of Life. 2017 Chulalongkorn Asian Heritage Forum: A Celebration of the 100th Anniversary of Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand. August 7-8, 2017. (Invited Presentation)
- “2016 Hong Kong Report Card on Physical Activity for Children”. 2017 International Conference on Physical Activity and Exercise Science. National Chung Hsing University, Taiwan. May 20-21, 2017. (Keynote Presentation)
- “High-Intensity Interval Training: Its Physiological and Psychological Responses”. The First Peking University Forum on Sports Medicine. Institute of Sports Medicine, Peking University, Beijing, China. August 31 – September 3, 2017. (Invited Presentation)
- "Physical activity and sedentary behavior for young populations residing in ultra-dense metropolis". The 15th Annual Conference of The Society of Chinese Scholars on Exercise Physiology and Fitness, Hong Kong. Jul 21, 2016. (Keynote Presentation)
- "Sedentary behavior and health in children: evaluating the evidence". SYSU-CUHK Interdisciplinary Conference on Behavioral Health. Organised by Sun Yat-Sen University and The Chinese University of Hong Kong. Jun 28, 2016. (Invited Presentation)
- "Built environment, sedentary behavior and physical activity in Hong Kong children". International Behavioral Health Conference. Organised by Hong Kong Society of Behavioral Health. Jan 16-17, 2016. (Invited Presentation)
- "Built Environment and Physical Activity in Hong Kong Children: A Social-ecological Perspective". The Second Guangzhou International Conference on Exercise & Health and The Fourth National Teaching Conference on Kinesiology. Guangzhou Sport University, China. Jun 28, 2015. (Invited Presentation)
- "Addition of Protein to Carbohydrate-electrolyte Solutions: The Effects on Post-exercise Rehydration". 1st International Conference in Sports Science & Technology. Organised by the Institute for Sports Research (ISR) of The Nanyang Technological University-Loughborough University, Dec 11-12, 2014, Singapore. (Invited Presentation)
- "Nutrition and Weight Control for Athletes". The 5th International Forum on Sports Nutrition Food. Invited by the China Sports Nutrition and Food Society of the Chinese Institute of Food Science and Technology. Beijing, China. Nov 17 - 18, 2014. (Keynote Presentation)
- "Does Built Environment Influence Children’s Physical Activity? — A Social-Ecological Perspective". The 13th Annual Conference of The Society of Chinese Scholars on Exercise Physiology and Fitness. Hebei Normal University, Shijazhuang, China. Sep 20 - 21, 2014. (Keynote Presentation)
- "Effect of a Carbohydrate-electrolyte Beverage, Lemon Tea, or Water on Rehydration during Short-term Recovery from Exercise". 2014 Incheon Asian Games International Sport Science Congress. Invited by the Korean Society for Exercise Nutrition. Gyeongin National University of Education, Incheon, Korea. Aug 20 - 22, 2014. (Invited Presentation)
- "Built Environment and Children’s Physical Activity — A Longitudinal Study Using GIS". Guangzhou Exercise & Health International Conference. Guangzhou Sport University, China. Jun 27, 2014. (Keynote Presentation)
- "Nutrition and Exercise Performance", "Physical Activity and Health". International Scholars Collaborative Teaching Scheme. Office of Global Affairs, Kaohsiung Medical University, Taiwan, May 4-6, 2013. (Invited Presentation)
- Fellow, American College of Sports Medicine
- Fellow, Hong Kong Association of Sports Medicine and Sports Science
- Registered Nutritionist, Association for Nutrition, U.K.
- Member, The American Physiological Society
- Member, European College of Sports Sciences
- Member, British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences
- Member, The International Society for Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity
- Member, Hong Kong Society of Behavioral Health
- Outstanding Fellow of Faculty of Education (2014-2019)
- Honorary Professor, University of Sydney (2015 - present)
- Research Excellence Award, Education Panel, CUHK (2010)
- Honorary Professor, Guangzhou Sport University (2015 - present)
- Honorary Professor, South China Normal University (2006 - present)
- Honorary Research Fellow, Shanghai Research Institute of Sports Science (2005 - present)
- Honorary Consultant, Jiangsu Research Institute of Sports Science (2005 - present)
- Visiting Scholar, National Taiwan Sports University (2009); Hokkaido University of Education (1999 - present)
- The Best Presenter Award, Annual Conference of British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences, Belfast, UK, 1995
- Commonwealth Scholar, Commonwealth Scholarship Award, UK, 1993
- Co-Chair, Organising Committee, 2018 Annual Meeting of International Society of Behavioural Nutrition and Physical Activity (ISBNPA), Hong Kong, June 3 - 6, 2018.
- Chairman, Assessment Panel on Physical Education Key Learning Area, the Chief Executive’s Award for Teaching Excellence (CEATE), Education Bureau (October 2017 - December 2018)
- Member, Assessment Working Group, the Chief Executive’s Award for Teaching Excellence (CEATE), Education Bureau (June 2017 - December 2018)
- Member, Promotion Sub-Committee, Health Care and Promotion Scheme (HCPS), Food and Health Bureau (September 2017 - July 2018)
- Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Exercise Science and Fitness (from January 2017)
- Member, Editorial Board of International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism
- Member, Editorial Board of International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity
- Member, Advisory Board, Journal of Sport Sciences
- Member, Education Panel, 2014 Research Assessment Exercise, Research Grants Council, Hong Kong
- Member, Board of Trustees, United College, CUHK
- Council Member, The Society of Chinese Scholars on Exercise Physiology and Fitness
- Council Member, Hong Kong Association of Sports Medicine and Sports Science
- Supervisor, Christian Alliance S.C. Chan Memorial College, S. W. Chan Memorial College
- Member, Incorporated Management Committee, Tin Ka Ping Secondary School; CUHK FAA Thomas Cheung Secondary School